~Photo Highlights Slideshow~

Photo credits for professional photos: Limelight Studio (http://www.limelightstudiophotography.com/); Kimberly Smoot Photography (http://www.kimberlysmoot.com/); Reflectons, Etc. (http://www.reflections-etc.com/)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Miss America Updates/Miss America vs. Miss USA..


Exciting news!! The Miss America Organization has announced that the live television broadcast of the Miss America pageant will once again return to ABC network, just in time for the 90th anniversary of the Miss America Pageant on January 15, 2011! They have signed a contract with ABC for the next three years. To celebrate, they are hoping to have as many former Miss Americas at the 90th anniversary as possible (60 are still living.).

This year, the pageant had 4.5 million viewers, which is about 1 million more viewers for the 2009 pageant. Sam Haskel, chairman of the MAO, says,"We were given a chance to re-brand, to keep what was traditional but make ourselves more today, and I think we've done that. We're now back with a lot of strength and back to show everyone that Miss America is the American tradition. It's a pop icon."

According to the Associated Press article about the announcement, 'Miss America 2011 would also reflect renewed efforts to distance the competition from Miss USA.."No little girl walks around saying, 'I want to be Miss USA when I grow up.' She says,'I want to be Miss America,'" Haskell said.'

On that note, for anyone reading my blog who may have questions about Miss America vs. Miss USA, I wanted to make a few clarifications, especially in light of the recent controversy over the racy photoshoot of this year's Miss USA contestants. I do not agree with the way they chose to portray these young women. The attire, context, and poses were not appropriate. In my opinion, rather than positively furthering pageants in general and respect for the women competing, this was degrading and depicted them as sex objects.

Here is the recent statement from the Miss America Organization:
"The Miss America Organization is not in any way associated with the Trump USA Pageant...We are a not-for-profit scholarship program rich in our 90-year history and tradition and hold ourselves to a higher standard."

Although the Miss USA pageant may disagree, it is not necessary to pose in lingerie to be 'relevant' in today's society. One of my goals is to be a role model, and this is not the type of image I would want to portray. Some people need to rethink what it means to be a young woman today and stop promoting the idea that the sexier you act or dress the better. Personally, I have a sense of modesty and values that I hold myself to--and that wouldn't include a photo shoot like Miss USA's. That doesn't mean I'm not confidant and comfortable with who I am, but I do respect myself and will hold to what I believe is right.

Miss America is about young women who are recognized for having the whole package--not just focusing on the outward appearance, which is still important, but judging talent, intelligence, communication skills, a commitment to service and spreading valuable messages, etc, and they then use the scholarships made available through the Miss America Organization to reach their educational goals. I am proud to be part of this organization, and I want to make sure that the differences between Miss USA and Miss America are clear.

Here is a link to the above announcement on Fox news. Gretchen Carlson interviews Miss America Caressa Cameron and Sam Haskell makes the announcement: http://video.foxnews.com/v/4209830/miss-americas-miracle-mission

No comments:

Post a Comment