~Photo Highlights Slideshow~

Photo credits for professional photos: Limelight Studio (http://www.limelightstudiophotography.com/); Kimberly Smoot Photography (http://www.kimberlysmoot.com/); Reflectons, Etc. (http://www.reflections-etc.com/)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

~My Princesses~

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."
~William James

Hi everybody! I want to share with you some of the experiences I've had through the Miss Illinois Princess Program. The Princess Program gives little girls a chance to build a friendship with and be mentored by one of the Miss Illinois contestants.


Last year, my princess was Hannah, a girl that I know from church. We both like going to a local cafe called Fusion Brew and talking over bubble tea, which I introduced her to...she loves it! We also had fun watching ice dancing together when the winter Olympics were on TV. It's great to see her most Sundays and continue to build the relationships between my family and hers. I didn't realize what an impact I had on her until after the Miss Illinois pageant last year--her dad told me how much she has enjoyed spending time with me and that her self-confidence has improved. That really touched me to hear that. Also, Hannah tagged me in a facebook photo that said "You changed my life." Wow! I had tears in my eyes when I read that, and at that moment, I realized how much our interaction meant and what a positive impact it has had. The picture of Hannah and I (above) was taken before the Princess Luncheon at Miss Illinois last summer.

My new princess this year is Bella. She is really sweet and is an absolute bundle of energy! I met Bella's mom through work, and several months ago, I began teaching Bella piano lessons, so we get together once a week. We have fun playing games together--she's a pro at Mancala! Last weekend, I took her to see Normal West High School's production of the musical "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat," which we both loved! It's so neat to see how much she looks up to me, and I really enjoy spending time together! I'm looking forward to taking both girls pottery painting soon! Bella can't wait for the Miss Illinois pageant--there will be activities for the Miss Illinois contestants and their princesses, and the princesses will get to be on stage several times. Here are some pictures of us--in one of them, Bella is wearing the crown necklace that I hand-made for her out of clay.

I take this program seriously because I understand what a responsibility it is to be in a position of influence as a role model, friend, encourager, etc to Bella and Hannah and other people that I'm in contact with. It really does make a difference in their lives, and I've definitely learned and have been blessed in return as well! ~To Hannah and Bella--love ya, girls!~

If you'd like to find out more about getting involved in this program, Shelby Zane is the person to contact. Her email and more information can be found at: (http://www.missillinois.org/princess/index.html).

No comments:

Post a Comment